Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Do You Want to Change Your Life? Go For It…

We all reach a point in our life when we say ‘enough is enough’, I need to change this or I need to quit or I need out. But, do we have the guts to change? Do we actually plan the change and follow it through? Do we consult with others and if yes, are we easily influenced by what others say about our desire to change? By nature, we are all in constant quest for what’s best.

Change is a must and needed to maintain our sanity. It’s also inevitable whether we like it or not so we need to accept it and embrace it. Many people are scared of change and feel safer when they are in their comfort zone therefore; they avoid it or resist it. That’s just the way they are, they can’t help it, it’s very hard for them, but if they ever contemplated a change, they will definitely need help throughout the process until they achieve their goal, get used to it and feel comfortable again.

We all know that change is the only thing that’s constant. Whether you initiated the change or it just entered your life without warning, there is always something good that will come out of it. You may not realize it immediately but definitely in the long run, you will reap the benefit from it. There are times when you can make an instant change but there are other times when you need to plan it and be patient until the change materializes.

There are plenty of benefits and advantages to change, no one can argue otherwise. Whether you are changing your profession, your country, your partner, your friends, your home, or anything else, the main benefit in my opinion is sound mental health. Other benefits may include but not limited to:

1-      New perspective on life. You may have certain way of thinking about a particular issue or a judgment about a particular matter, but with change, you will learn to re-think your principles and adopt new values on life.

2-      New-Found Knowledge. Change is always an opportunity to learn new things. New education, new system, new culture, new invention, new language,…etc. The more we learn, the more we grow personally, the more opportunities we get, and the faster we progress.

3-      Strength. Sometimes when unpleasant & unexpected change happens like loss of job, savings, loved ones …etc or going through hardship of any kind, this may actually make you stronger. Sometimes tough experiences in life are way better teachers than school and family.

4-      Practice makes perfect. We will resist change initially but the more changes we face, the easier we adapt to new situations and the more capable we become in handling unexpected circumstances.

5-      Sanity. Sometimes we reach the edge of explosion because of monotonous way of living or unhealthy relationships or unsuccessful jobs; and we seize to function efficiently or make proper and sound judgment or right decisions because of that. The only solution to maintain your sanity is to get rid of the things that are driving you nuts and have a fresh start.

I've always been brave and adventurous; and routine was my biggest enemy. Change is a big part of my personality. Even if sometimes I’m terrified of the change but as long as I did my research and learnt the pros and cons of anything, I go for it. If the change comes to me, even if it’s unpleasant, I don’t resist it, I look at it positively and optimistically.

My biggest ever change was moving to Canada permanently in June 2011. I left everything behind, my family and friends, an excellent well-paid job, and a life style I consider luxurious compared to the one I’m having in Canada but since I’m eager for change, I made the decision to open a new chapter in my life and I know I’ll be fine.


I read a nice quote in The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho that says ‘And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it’. Another quote from the same book says ‘It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting’. Socrates once said ‘The unexamined life is not worth living’.

1 comment: