Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Android Samsung Phones Galaxy S4 – Big Mistake

Android Samsung Phones Galaxy S4, the Biggest Smartphone Purchase Mistake I’ve ever made.

I had Blackberry phones for over four years and I never had any major problems with them except maybe the screen and the keypads were very small. It was about time to change my phone and I wanted something new but wasn’t sure which one to go for. Most of my friends had Apple I-phone or Android Samsung phones so I thought, this time; I’ll go for either one of them.

I did some research on-line on both of them but I didn’t find one that has more advantages than the other (maybe I didn’t do enough research) so I decided to go for Android Samsung Galaxy S4 which was just released and in the market for only one month.

I bought the phone from Fido (cell phones service provider in Canada) at the time when they had an offer if you renew your agreement and enter into a contract for 2 years with them; you could purchase the phone at a discount, approximately 35% less than the original purchase price. I found that an attractive deal so I bought it.

It took me sometime to discover how to use it and I was getting there until I got a pop up message to upgrade the phone to the latest version, 4.3 the Jellybean. I did an update twice before and I had no problems, but the third update, the Jellybean, erased all my contacts, pictures, videos, music, texts, and whatsapp and viber conversations forever, nothing could be retrieved. Not only that, I also can’t connect to WiFi when I go outside of the house although I already pay for Data Plan subscription with Fido so that I’m able to use the internet, e-mails, and whatsapp when I’m out. I also noticed that the quality of pictures I take worsened, charging of the phone is slow, the battery dies quicker than before, and a music downloader app that I used heavily before to download songs and music is no longer user friendly.

It’s been almost two months now and I still can’t get over the fact that I lost all my data on my phone. I contacted Fido to find me a solution and they told me it was a Samsung issue and that I should contact them. I contacted Samsung Canada and they told me there was a bug on some of the Android phones after the latest update to version 4.3 the Jellybean, and that they are still trying to find a solution. They couldn’t do anything to help me retrieve my data and since I didn’t manually back them up to Kies on Samsung website because I already activated the auto back up to Google on my phone so I thought my data were safe, they were gone forever. They also couldn’t help me solve the connection to WiFi. They took my phone number and said they’d contact me when they find a fix.

I still haven’t heard from Samsung. I contacted them several times to find me a solution at least to the WiFi problem but they don’t have any. The last contact was today and the agent advised me to take out the battery, press on the power button for one minute, then put the battery back again and this should solve the WiFi connection problem and other minor issues. I did that but haven’t tested it yet so I’m not sure if it’s going to work or not.


I regret purchasing a Samsung phone. I wish I had stayed with Blackberry or went for Apple instead. I will not recommend Samsung to anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment